This time of year, onions in storage want to sprout. What better way to use them up than in a savory, but almost sweet, French Onion Soup?
French Onion Soup
- 6-8 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- Slices of French bread
- Mozzarella cheese (or any cheese you have on hand)
- Heat butter and olive oil in a soup pot to melt. Add onions and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid scorching. Reduce heat after the onions begin to turn color and continue to cook, stirring, until a rich brown, about 40-50 min.
- Stir in the wine; increase heat and cook for 1-2 min. Add broth, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 min.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls placed on a cookie sheet. Toast bread under broiler; top soup with toasted French bread. Sprinkle with cheese, about 3 tablespoons per serving. Broil until cheese is bubbly and brown. Makes about 4 servings.